How to Choose a Criminal Defense Attorney
Are you facing criminal charges? One of the first steps you should take when being charged is to seek a criminal defense attorney who can advocate for you in court. If you’ve never been charged with a crime and have never worked with an attorney, it can be difficult to know where to begin in your search. With this in mind, we have compiled several tips for you to find a criminal defense lawyer who will fit your case.
Here are a few of those tips:
- Look for experience in your case type: This is especially important if you have a uniquely complicated case or a case that requires knowledge of a specific type of subject.
- Investigate their background: Look for references and reviews for attorneys. You should only work with an attorney with a sterling reputation, and it should be easy to find people’s opinions on their services.
- Consider fees: While fees shouldn’t be the most important factor in your decision as to who will represent you, it’s at least something you’re going to want to take into consideration along with other factors in your search.
- Consider your ability to develop a good relationship: Your criminal attorney should be someone with whom you feel comfortable telling your story and being completely honest. There should be a level of trust there that carries you through your case. In addition, you should be able to trust that they’re going to make you a priority and fight for you as hard as possible.
- Look for courtroom experience: Just in case, you should make sure you have an attorney who’s experienced in a trial setting as well as at the negotiation table.
For more information about factors that should go into your defense attorney search, contact experienced Reading, PA criminal defense lawyer David R. Eshelman.